Welcome to Modeling | Modeling News | Modeling Videos | Latest Modeling Trends


Thursday, September 21, 2006

Up close with … Vanessa Lorenzo the healthy habits that keep me slim: think modeling's all about the genes? Vanessa Lorenzo swears by road-tested, sta

When we caught up with Vanessa in Tulum, Mexico (where she shot this month's Shape cover), she had just come from Madrid and was headed next to London. We couldn't help but ask: If she spends so much time traveling for work, how does she look like she's just returned from a two-week vacation? She says it's something in the water--the Mediterranean Sea, to be exact. Not only does she swim in it whenever she's home in Spain, but she's a devotee of the diet made famous by the region.
EAT NATURAL, NATIVE FOODS
"I absolutely love to eat, so I try not to restrict myself," says Vanessa, who gravitates toward Mediterranean staples like fresh veggies--especially spinach and tomatoes--nuts and olive oil. (See "The World's Healthiest Diet," right.) A creature of habit, she finds mealtime decisions easy, even when she's living out of hotels.
"I have fresh fruit for breakfast every day, no matter where I am," she says. "When I'm in a rush, I'll make a smoothie I can take with me--a mix of pineapple, strawberries and water." She follows the fruit with a slice of wholegrain toast, opting for olive oil instead of butter and jam, or oatmeal--a heart-healthy treat she's come to love since living in the United States.
For afternoon and evening meals, Vanessa chooses tapas--small servings of olives, fresh seafood, marinated veggies and other flavorful, snack-sized dishes. "You can get little tastes without eating a lot of food (or calories)," she says. When she's stateside, she indulges in sushi--with the same healthy combo of fish and veggies: "It's my favorite way to eat out."
MAKE FITNESS FUN
Growing up in Spain, Vanessa played on Barcelona's beaches; swimming is now the 29-year-old's favorite way to get toned all over. "Whenever I'm on location, I look for a swimming pool," she says. "I do laps--alternating strokes to focus on different muscle groups--and hold on to a float to kick my legs."
She has also taken a cue from her neighbors in New York City and hits the gym three days a week. Her typical routine: 30-40 minutes running on the treadmill, or using the elliptical trainer, followed by 20 minutes of squats, lunges, biceps curls, triceps kickbacks and crunches.
DON'T FORGET TO NOURISH YOUR SPIRIT
Though Vanessa has seen the world, she admits to being homesick for friends and family back in Spain. "I talk to my boyfriend on the phone or e-mail my sister at least every other day," she says. "It really helps me stay happy." To reenergize after a long day on the set, she'll take a quiet stroll on the beach or wind down by watching a movie in her hotel room. Her new goal: to start a regular yoga practice. "I really want to find the time because I know it's so healthy for you," she says. "I'm convinced it will help me stay centered, and with my hectic travel schedule, I realize that finding balance may be one of the best things I can do for my mind and body."
The world's healthiest diet
We now know that the Mediterranean Diet's combination of fresh produce, fish and healthy fats found in olive oil and nuts, is simply the best meal plan. A New England Journal of Medicine study found that people who followed a Mediterranean diet were 25 percent less likely to die of heart disease or cancer. Other new research shows that this way of eating is even more beneficial than a lowfat plan. Plus "olive oil's satiety factor helps curb overeating," says Dun Gifford of Oldways Preservation & Exchange Trust. "And, the diet's flavors make sticking with it a pleasure." To learn more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home